Pasta carbonara is one of my favorite pastas to make. It has a great sauce, involves pancetta, and typically it will be a fan favorite at the dinner table or dinner party. When done right, it can taste amazing! This includes not over saucing it(my pet peeve), making sure the pasta is al dente, and adding peas!!! I love adding peas to basically everything. It’s just that food that always makes your meal better, and even though pasta carbonara is not typically made with peas, I think adding the peas definitely elevates it and adds a lot of color! Let’s get to the recipe!
Watch my cooking video on how to make it on my YouTube channel!
Like I said before, this is perfect for a family dinner, because everyone loves pasta and this is a pretty modest one. Also perfect for dates, friends, or a party! Holidays are coming up before we know it so this dish definitely adds the comfort!
Real quick, when buying your pasta, get a thicker spaghetti. I believe I used Bucatini No. 15 or No. 17. It is a more round and thicker spaghetti as you can see above. Trust me, the type of pasta matters, the little extra thickness adds a lot of dimension and texture to the dish!
- 1 box of Bucatini pasta
- 8 oz of pancetta, diced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of freshly grated parmigiano reggiano, plus more for serving
- 1 cup of peas, canned or frozen (if frozen cook before hand)
- olive oil, salt, and pepper
- fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil
- In the mean time, heat a tablespoon or two in a deep skillet
- Cook the diced pancetta in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium high heat, add salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water if you haven’t already
- Back to the sauce, in a bowl, whisk together the eggs and cheese while the pancetta is cooking. Make sure everything is evenly combined, add a little salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta and stick it in the skillet with the pancetta. Quickly add in the egg and cheese mixture. You want to do this while the pasta is hot so that the egg cooks. Continue to combine with prongs till the pasta is evenly coated. Lightly salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the peas and combine one last time.
- Transfer to a large bowl and garish with chopped parsley.
I hope you guys love this recipe, go ahead ands give it a try! You saw, there is not that many steps/ingredients! Let me know what you think and don’t forget to follow me on Instagram for more yummy recipes and restaurant reviews!!
See you soon! XOXO, Abbie