Paella is truly one of my favorite recipes there are! Ever since I was little, when I had paella I thought it was so special because paella is this long and complicated dish to make. However, it is not as complicated as you might think! In fact, this chicken and shrimp paella is one of the easier paellas to make and it has those Spanish flavors that you love in paella! Not only does this paella have chicken and shrimp in it, but it also has chorizo! This adds a great kick to the paella and again, brings out the Spanish taste in the paella.
Along with paella, you need a really refreshing sangria recipe! I like to make the sangria before the paella so that I can sip on it while I make the paella! 😉 This slightly spicy and traditional chicken and shrimp paella is one of the best recipes you can make! Paella serves quite a bit, so it’s the perfect one dish dinner meal for a group!
Spanish Chicken, Chorizo, & Shrimp Paella Recipe
This classic paella recipe is easier to make than you think! Goes perfectly with Sangria!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, or rotisserie chicken
- 2 chorizo sausages
- 1/2 pound of peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/2 tsp of saffron threads
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 28 oz can of smashed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of peas (frozen is fine)
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 4 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup of beef broth
- 2 cups of paella rice, such as Bomba or Calasparra
- olive oil, salt, and pepper
- In a small pan, toast the saffron threads for a minute, continuously stirring. Remove from heat, put in bowl and crumble with fingertips. Set aside.
- Slice the chorizo, and in a medium skillet, cook fully. Set aside.
- In a paella skillet (if you do no have a paella skillet, use the largest pan you have, not too deep), heat a tbsp of olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and jalapeño. Salt and pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and sauté till the tomatoes thicken, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and beef broth, wine, and saffron. Bring to a boil on high heat and salt and pepper.
- Evenly sprinkle the rice on the mixture, adding the chicken and chorizo to it. Bring to boil, then cook for 10 minutes. Salt and pepper one last time.
- After 10 minutes, add the shrimp and peas evenly on the paella. Cook for another 10-12 minutes till the liquid has absorbed, flipping the shrimp half way through.
- Once all the liquid has absorbed, turn off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving. Goes perfectly with sangria.
Feel free to add or subtract meat and seafood to the paella. Mussels and clams would go great too!
This is a classic sangria recipe that is so flavorful and refreshing, perfect with paella!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 - 5 servings
- 1 750 ml bottle of dry red wine
- 1/3 cup of brandy (a splash more if you like it strong)
- 3-4 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 3/4 cup of sparkling wine, like prosecco
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 blood orange, thinly sliced
- In a large pitcher, add half of the apple and orange slices, add ice.
- Pour the red wine, brandy, orange juice, and sparkling wine to the pitcher.
- With a long wooden spoon, mix together well.
- Add in the 3-4 tbsp of brown sugar, mix again.
- Add in more ice and the rest of the apple and blood orange slices. Mix together one last time. Serve and garnish with a few extra slices of apples and oranges.
This is truly one of my favorite recipes, both the paella and Sangria! Plus, it is much easier to make than you think! Try this spanish dish once, and I guarantee you will make this again! I make this about once a week, to be honest!